Quantcast

Taekwondo Olympian from Jamaica tests positive


In this Oct. 18, 2011 file photo, Jamaica’s Kenneth Edwards fights Canada’s Francois Coulombe during a quarterfinal men’s taekwondo +80 kg match at the Pan American Games in Guadalajara, Mexico. Edwards said on Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2013 he has tested positive for a banned substance and will challenge the findings. His announcement comes as the world’s anti-doping authority launches a sweeping audit of Jamaica’s drug-testing agency amid allegations of inconsistent testing. AP

KINGSTON, Jamaica — A Jamaican who competed in taekwondo at the London Olympics said Tuesday he has tested positive for a banned substance.

Kenneth Edwards said he was notified a month ago about the diuretic and is awaiting results of a backup sample. A diuretic reduces body fluids and can mask drug use. He added he has not competed since July.

“I remain committed to being a professional athlete and would not do anything to compromise that position,” he said in a statement. “I have every intention of challenging these findings.”

Jason McKay, captain of Jamaica’s combined martial arts team, told The Gleaner newspaper he supports Edwards.

“From what we understand, a diuretic has appeared in his sample, which we are sure must be a mistake of some sort because, apart from his unquestionable honesty and integrity, there is no practical reason for him to be taking a diuretic, or any masking agent, when not competing,” he said.

The announcement comes as the world’s anti-doping authority launches a sweeping audit of Jamaica’s drug-testing agency amid allegations of inconsistent testing. WADA officials expect to visit the Caribbean island at the end of this year or the beginning of 2014.

Doping investigations also are underway involving other Jamaicans, including sprint stars Asafa Powell and Sherone Simpson. An anti-doping panel also publicly warned Veronica Campbell-Brown for a violation, but she has

been cleared to resume competition.

Herb Elliott, chairman of Jamaica’s Anti-Doping Commission, did not return calls. He previously dismissed allegations about testing lapses between January 2012 to the July opening of the Olympics.


Follow Us



Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.





Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Marketplace