Perasol, UP ready for risk of possible forfeitures
It had been a whirlwind of a Saturday for University of the Philippines in the UAAP Season 80 men’s basketball tournament.
Rob Ricafort was finally able to suit up for the Fighting Maroons and in his first game, they silenced defending champion De La Salle 98-87 at Mall of Asia Arena.
But there’s a chance that golden victory—and other possible wins where Ricafort would play in —could be forfeited in case Ricafort’s 20-day restraining order, which will lapse on October 11, is declared invalid.
But that’s a risk UP head coach Bo Perasol is willing to take.
“Those sort of things have been dealt with by the lawyers at UP,” said Perasol in Filipino. “For them it’s a bigger evil if you don’t follow a court order than abide by the rules of a league.”
The UAAP eligibility board initially denied Ricafort the chance to play in Season 80 as the Fightin Maroon will exceed the age limit of 25-years-old in January of 2018, smack in the middle of the sporting calendar.
Perasol, however, is confident the TRO’s clauses will stand and that Ricafort is an eligible Maroon.
“The lawyers can take care of it, I’m not a lawyer so this kind of stuff is beyond me,” said Perasol. “If our wins are forfeited then that’s too bad but I’m sure the lawyers know where they’re coming from and they’ll have this straightened out.”
For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.