Arum picks a new Manny Pacquiao
Manny Pacquiao has suddenly announced he’s not done with boxing yet and would be fighting again in the first half of 2018.
“Siguro sa (Maybe in) April,” the fighting senator told boxing commentator Dyan Castillejo on Wednesday during the opening of a grilled chicken store in Quezon City.
There was no mention of a possible opponent, but Pacquiao said there should be clearer details by January. He turns 39 on Dec. 17.
It could be purely coincidental that Pacquiao had to clear the air on his career plans after veteran promoter Bob Arum said he had found a next Manny Pacquiao.
Arum specified the sensational Jerwin Ancajas (28-1-1, 19 KOs), reigning IBF super flyweight champion.
“He (Ancajas) is going to become a Top Rank fighter. We plan to put him in three or four fights a year.
We call him the next Manny Pacquiao,” Arum told Steve Kim of BoxingScene.com.
So far, there has been no reported communication between Arum and Pacquiao since last July.
It could not be determined if Pacquiao is still under contract with Arum’s Top Rank, lead world promotional agency.
Arum promoted Pacquiao’s last bout in Brisbane, where the Filipino boxing superhero lost his WBO welterweight crown after suffering a monumental upset against Australian Jeff Horn back on July 2.
A rematch was transacted in Brisbane for Nov. 12 but Pacquiao pulled out.
Horn is scheduled to make a first title defense against Englishman Gary Corcoran in Brisbane on Dec. 13.
Ancajas made a third defense of his 122 lb title in Belfast last month by stopping Jamie Conlan in six rounds.
Ancajas is the top fighter of the Manny Pacquiao Promotions.
He had an audience with President Duterte in Malacañang on Wednesday, the same day Pacquiao, an army reservist, was promoted to the rank of full colonel in the Philippine Army.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.