Tuesday, April 24, 2018
Close  
  • share this
Bare Eye

Has the POC president gone deaf and blind?

/ 05:23 AM February 13, 2018

Philippine Olympic Committee president Jose “Peping” Cojuangco. RYAN LEAGOGO/INQUIRER.net

For a change, it has been announced that soaring prices of fuel will go down.

The past week, there had been no report of a glitch or an MRT 3 breakdown.

Add to these a report that the Philippine Olympic Committee (POC) has relented to the call for an election on Feb. 23, and things could be really looking up.

ADVERTISEMENT

A report on Sunday said the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has stepped in and demanded that local Olympic officials “call urgently an extraordinary meeting” and resolve the issue “in an appropriate manner in the presence of all interested parties.”

Ricky Vargas, the boxing chief who got disqualified in the 2016 election that sent Jose Cojuangco Jr. to a fourth term as national Olympic committee head unopposed, was elated.

“I am happy that POC finally will follow the rule of law and the voice of reason,” Vargas exclaimed. He said the IOC should be commended for its straightforward appreciation of the situation.

It has been discovered that the report about the IOC order for a POC election has come from Cojuangco’s office itself.

One source has also started to wonder if the POC chief has started to treat the IOC order as false news.
There’s an apparent move to muddle up the situation, said Ed Picson, executive director of the national amateur boxing agency headed by Vargas.

“Magulo! (Chaotic!) They released a memo announcing elections for president and chair on Feb. 23, but Peping Cojuangco has been telling people the IOC wants the General Assembly to resolve the issue, rather than the courts,” Picson explained.

Picson said Cojuangco called for an extraordinary meeting on Feb. 19 to “discuss the status of the appealed case before the Court of Appeals.”

He added: “What they don’t realize is that defiance of the court order is a contemptuous act and could result in dire consequences.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile, another reliable source said an office secretary at the POC made a mistake and released the memo announcing elections.

“They just prepared the memo but had no plans of releasing it unless forced to,” the same source said.

Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Bare Eye, Jose Cojuangco Jr, POC
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved