Ancajas’ Survival Camp gets boost for makeover
Slowly but surely, Jerwin Ancajas’ Survival Camp is becoming a conducive boxing training facility.
For successfully defending his International Boxing Federation junior bantamweight crown in Corpus Christi, Texas, last month, Ancajas was handed a P1 million check by business magnate Manny V. Pangilinan on Tuesday at PLDT Building in Makati City.
Joven Jimenez, Ancajas’ chief trainer and manager, said the money will be used to improved the sleeping quarters of the 15 boxers currently billeted at their camp in Barangay Ramirez, Magallanes, Cavite.
Jimenez and Ancajas, who is in deep training for his fifth title defense against fellow Filipino Jonas Sultan on April 14 in Las Vegas, expressed their gratitude to MVP and other supporters like Cavite Rep. Abraham “Bambol” Tolentino, businessman Vince Vargas and lawyer Bobbet Bruce.
According to Jimenez, Tolentino sent workers to build a perimeter fence around the 1,500 square meters property, where Ancajas’ house is also located.
Bruce donated boxing equipment while Vargas has been helping them from way back.
Gaining international recognition after Ancajas’ 10th round disposal of Mexican Israel Gonzalez at American Bank Center on Feb. 3, Jimenez said Australian James MacDonald has joined his stable of fighters.
Two Chinese nationals are also arriving within the week, necessitating the upgrade of the living quarters.
The ultimate goal, of course, is to make Survival Camp worthy of being the training gym of a world champion.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.