‘Old man’ Mayweather says he’s done fighting
Floyd Mayweather Jr. had already come out of retirement twice, but don’t expect another comeback happening.
Mayweather is in town for vacation but his trip to the Philippines also sparked intrigue of boxing fans and pundits alike that the former pound-for-pound king is meeting with Manny Pacquiao to talk about a possible rematch.
The five-division world champion, however, dismissed the idea even before it could gain any traction.
“I’m an old man now so you know, there’s no more fighting for Floyd Mayweather,” he told ABS-CBN’s Dyan Castillejo early Tuesday morning upon his arrival in Manila aboard his private jet when asked if he’s going to fight the Filipino boxing icon again in the future.
The 41-year-old Mayweather, however, is interested in adding Filipino prospects to Mayweather Promotions.
“But I would love to sign some upcoming talent, upcoming Filipino fighters. I would love to work with them,” Mayweather said in the same interview.
Mayweather hung up his gloves for the second time in August last year after dominating MMA star Conor McGregor in a crossover fight for his 50th win.
In 2007, Mayweather announced his retirement following a 10th round stoppage of Ricky Hatton to focus on his promotional company but returned two years later to fight Mexican legend Juan Manuel Marquez.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.