Matthysse tames trash talk this time
KUALA LUMPUR—Lucas Matthysse is no longer going on the record to say he’ll beat Manny Pacquiao into retirement.
After whipping up verbal storms previously, the 35-year-old Argentine WBA welterweight champion, a knockout artist with 36 stoppages in 39 wins, was calmer when he faced the media during Wednesday’s workout.
“It’s (retirement) all up to him,” he said through his head trainer Joel Diaz, who also serves as his interpreter. “But for me, I’m just enjoying everything I’m doing. All the hard work has been done.”
Even Diaz showed more restraint this time around.
“When you see Manny, he’s very intense fighter, he breaks you down if not physically, mentally,” Diaz said.
His ward hardly worked out and was out of the training gym in less than an hour.
“He’s probably at 149 pounds, just a couple of pounds (off the 147-lb weight limit); it’s not a concern for us because he’s been at that for weeks,” added Diaz.
Matthysse said: “I have a positive mentality. I prepared myself really, really well. My goal is to go home with my belt.”
In a separate corner of the room, Australian George Kambosos, who sparred for 60 rounds with Pacquiao, said “Matthysse is going to have a very painful evening.”
Kambosos was one of Pacquiao’s four spar mates during his eight-week training camp.
The undefeated Kambosos will face Filipino JR Magboo in a lightweight duel serving as one of the undercards.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.