Mayweather nixes 50-50 for Pacquiao
Floyd Mayweather Jr. has found a sure way out of fighting Manny Pacquiao. The loudmouth WBC welterweight champion said he’ll never agree to an equal sharing of fight revenues with the Filipino Fighter of the Decade.
“Just by speaking to Pacquiao on the phone, I mean, he’s not one of the sharpest knives in the drawer,” Mayweather told the media Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila) in the New York leg of the promotional tour of his bout against Miguel Cotto on May 5 in Las Vegas. “He faces Floyd Mayweather, he’s not getting 50-50.”
Pacquiao had earlier announced that he’d fight Mayweather and agree to all the American’s terms, including Olympic style drug testing, provided they evenly split all revenues to be generated from the megabuck showdown.
Mayweather also said the only way he’d consider fighting Pacquiao is if the eight-division world champion leaves venerable promoter Bob Arum, head honcho of Top Rank.
Mayweather offered $40 million to Pacquiao last month, with the Filipino not getting any share of the PPV revenue.
Pacquiao nixed the offer, proposing instead a 45-45 sharing with the other 10 percent going to the winner of the bout.
Hall of Famer Arum went further, saying he’s willing to give Mayweather $50 million, provided also that the prison-bound (June 1) fighter doesn’t get any PPV share.