Sonsona back with bang, downs Fulgencio in the fifth round
LAPU-LAPU CITY—“Marvelous” Marvin Sonsona slipped a crushing left uppercut to Carlos “El Flaco” Fulgencio’s unprotected jaw in the fifth round to finish off the Dominican Republic fighter in a bout that announced his return to bigtime boxing at the Hoops Dome here Saturday night.
The end to what was scheduled as a 10-round fight ended at 1:41 of the fifth after referee Tony Pesons ruled that Fulgencio was no longer fit to continue.
“I am just 70 percent of my old self, but am quicker now than in October (last year),” said Sonsona. “I hope this carries on until I get another world title.”
Fulgencio, a cocky, reed-thin fighter with a solid mid-section, wobbled as he quickly tried to get up and beat the count.
He said Pesons was too quick to stop the bout, but later went to Sonsona’s camp to congratulate him.
“He was able to stand up but I have already counted 10,” said Pesons. “I have been a referee for 30 years, I knew (a fighter can’t go on) when I see one. He would certainly drop again sooner or later.”
Sonsona’s bid to return to the spotlight after losing the WBO superflyweight title that he won when he was 19 raised eyebrows as it was fought at 126 pounds, instead of 123 as earlier announced.
Sources at ringside said Sonsona couldn’t cut weight after tipping the scales at 129 lb during the weigh-in. Fulgencio’s camp agreed to fight, though, after the 5-foot-9 visitor himself failed to get down from 125.
“I’m moving up to 126,” said Sonsona, whose spiky, dyed hair made him look like he had a blond skunk on his head. “I will need to train harder and harder. I can fight anyone just as long as I train very hard.”
The 21-year-old Sonsona, who fell from grace after a knockout loss to Wilfredo Vazquez Jr., in 2010, showed up with more flabs than muscles.
But he still packed aggression and power as he pummeled Fulgencio with body shots in hopes of crushing him early in the fight.
In the fifth round, Sonsona engaged Fulgencio in a furious exchange by the ropes, firing a right cross which the Dominican avoided before unleashing the knockout punch that felled the visitor to the delight of the big crowd in the maiden offering of the Pinoy Knockout series by AKTV.
In the co-mainer, Froilan “The Sniper” Saludar hardly showed style but still scored a unanimous decision win over Alejandro Morales of Mexico to retain his WBO Youth flyweight and Asia Pacific championships.
In the supporting bout, Adones Cabal-quinto won the Philippine junior welterweight title via a unanimous decision over Dan Nazareno in 12 well-rought out rounds.
Mark Anthony Geraldo of Valencia, Bukidnon pipped Jerwin Ancajas of Panabo City via majority decision to take the WBO Asia Pacific super fly title.
Get Inquirer updates while on the go, add us on these chat apps:
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94