Former boxing champ charged with child abuse

SHARES:

09:55 AM April 4th, 2012

Recommended
April 4th, 2012 09:55 AM

This April 3, 2012 booking photo courtesy of Orange County Jail, Florida shows boxer Hector "Macho" Camacho. Camacho turned himself into authorities on April 3, 2012, to face a child abuse charge, the Orange County Sheriff's Office confirmed. Camacho, 49, is accused of picking up his son by the neck, slamming him on the ground and stomping on him on March 22, 2011. An Orange County Sheriff's Office report said the altercation occurred at Camacho's ex-wife's home. AFP PHOTO/ORANGE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE

MIAMI — Former boxing champ Hector “Macho” Camacho has been charged with child abuse for allegedly slamming his son into a floor at his ex-wife’s home in Florida last year, police said Tuesday.

“He turned himself into the Orange County Jail on Monday, posted $5,000 bond and was released,” said Ginette Rodriguez, public affairs spokeswoman at Orange County Sheriff’s Office.

The 49-year-old Camacho, a three-time world champ, was accused of hitting and stomping on his son, police documents say.

The incident took place on March 22, 2011, allegedly over money Camacho apparently believed was missing at the home of his ex-wife, the documents show.

The child, whose identity was not revealed, told authorities he believed his father was on drugs at the time of the incident.

Camacho’s agent did not immediately return requests for comment.

The boxer, originally from Puerto Rico, in recent years has made appearances on two reality television programs, “Mira Quien Baila” and “Es Macho Time.”

Disclaimer: Comments do not represent the views of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments which are inconsistent with our editorial standards. FULL DISCLAIMER

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.