Monday, March 19, 2018
  • share this

Boxing: Alvarez beats Mosley to retain WBC title

/ 12:57 PM May 06, 2012

(L-R) Canelo Alvarez throws a left to the head of Shane Mosley during their WBC super welterweight title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on May 5, 2012 in Las Vegas, Nevada. ETHAN MILLER/GETTY IMAGES/AFP

LAS VEGAS, Nevada – Rising Mexican star Saul “Canelo” Alvarez beat Shane Mosley to retain his World Boxing Council super welterweight title on Saturday at the MGM Grand hotel and casino.

The 21-year-old Alvarez defended his title for the fourth consecutive time, winning by unanimous decision and saying the triumph over the aging US great was the start of a new phase in his career.

“It was a great experience. This is the beginning of my career,” the undefeated Alvarez said.


Alvarez’s superior defense and hard, accurate punches proved to be too much for the 40-year-old Mosley, who was giving away 19 years in age to the Mexican.

Two of the judges scored it 119-109 and the third had it 118-110.

But challenger Mosley (46-8-1, 39 KOs) fought to the end and kept his record of having never been knocked out intact.

And he didn’t have to resort to the tactics he used last year against Manny Pacquiao by clinching constantly in the final rounds.

Fighting on the undercard of the Floyd Mayweather v Miguel Cotto world title fight, Mosley hinted after the bout that it could have been his last.

“These kids are beating me up, huh,” said Mosley, who has lost three of his last four fights.

Asked if he might retire, Mosley replied, “It can look that way. When you get kids beating you up.”

After a slow first round, Alvarez (40-0-1, 29 KOs) started taking the fight to Mosley.


But Alvarez suffered a cut above his left eye in the third round after Mosley leaned in with his head following an exchange of punches. It was the first time in his career Alvarez had been cut.

The cut started bleeding immediately and the disgusted look on Alvarez’s face indicated he thought Mosley did it on purpose.

But his corner did a good job of stopping the bleeding prior to the fourth round and it didn’t present a problem for him during the remainder of the fight.

“Mayweather, Cotto, Pacquiao, I am ready,” Alvarez said. “Viva Mexico!” Alvarez said.

Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Boxing, Saul Alvarez, Shane Mosley, Sports, World Boxing Council
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Practical tips from Tinseltown’s business-minded celebs

March 20, 2018 12:55 AM


PH ‘drug war’ film goes to Helsinki and Fribourg

March 20, 2018 12:50 AM


Jose Manalo’s son prefers to make it on his own

March 20, 2018 12:45 AM


Now 18, Bianca Umali still says no to sexy roles

March 20, 2018 12:40 AM


4.1 magnitude quake shakes some parts of Bohol

March 20, 2018 12:37 AM

© Copyright 1997-2018 | All Rights Reserved