Last-minute SK training for PH Olympic archersBy June Navarro
Philippine Daily Inquirer
AFTER missing the pre-Games training camp for the London Olympics, Mark Javier and Rachel Cabral will settle for a 10-day build-up in the breeding ground of the world’s best archers.
Philippine chef de mission Manny Lopez yesterday said the two archers will leave for South Korea today for a training session after failing to join the Olympic camp that could have provided them a first-hand look at their opponents.
Lopez said Javier and Cabral, the last two entries in the 11-athlete Philippine contingent in the July 27 to Aug. 12 Summer Games, will shoot in different clubs in and around Seoul and Incheon under the supervision of Korean coach Chun Jae-hun.
Javier is seeing action in his second Olympics after vying in the 2008 Beijing Games while Cabral is the country’s first female Olympic archer after Jasmine Figueroa in 2004 in Athens.
The two qualified after posting strong scores in the World Archery Championship in Ogden City, Utah, last month.
“Because they are late qualifiers, we’re just trying to make the most out of the time left,” said Lopez, also the first vice president of the Philippine Olympic Committee.
“We’re going to Korea for maximum exposure.”
Lopez also explained that going to Korea would serve the archers well since the weather has become unpredictable in the British capital.
“It’s been raining in London and that would not help because the training camp for archery is held outdoors,” said Lopez.
South Korea, home to the world’s finest archers, won two of the four gold medals sta stake in the Beijing Games.