Pacquiao need not postpone fight to file candidacy, says Comelec
MANILA, Philippines—The show can go on as scheduled.
Boxing champion Manny Pacquiao does not have to reschedule his November fight in order to submit his certificate of candidacy to the Commission on Elections, according to Comelec spokesman James Jimenez.
Jimenez said in an interview on Thursday that Pacquiao, who represents Sarangani province in the House of Representatives, can send his documents through an authorized representative during the filing period.
“It is possible since he can just send his authorized representative to file his COC,” said Jimenez, citing a provision in election laws allowing this.
Jimenez said the authority of Pacquiao’s representative shall be in writing and under oath, and attached to the certificate of candidacy.
The Comelec does not accept the filing of certificates of candidacy by mail, telegram or facsimile, he added.
For those running in the May 2013 elections, the Comelec has already set the period for filing of COCs from October 1 to 5.
It was reported earlier that Pacquiao was thinking of pushing his November 10 fight to December 1 to allow him to file his certificate of candidacy for re-election and to give him enough time to train in the United States.
Pacquiao has no opponent yet for his match later this year. Boxers who could challenge him in the ring include Timothy Bradley, Juan Manuel Marquez, Miguel Cotto, all previous Pacquiao opponents.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.