Nico Salva’s father appeals UAAP ‘ban’ on himBy Celest R. Flores
MANILA, Philippines — The father of Ateneo forward Nico Salva has appealed to the UAAP board Wednesday the sanction meted out by the league after his run-in with FEU coach Ronald Magtulis last week at the PhilSports Arena.
Amando Salva addressed UAAP president Nilo Ocampo and UAAP Board of Trustees in a letter detailing his account of the altercation with Magtulis and asking to rectify the Board’s supposed error in judgment.
The league banned Salva from watching from the game venue’s patron section and the players’ area for the remainder of the season, while suspending Magtulis for one game.
Salva felt disturbed that the UAAP Board decided upon a sanction without consulting his side.
“If you were truly concerned about the incident and the possible effects, you could have summoned me and I would have presented my side,” said Salva.
“You have maligned my character by portraying me as someone with no self-control, damaged my name and reputation in my field of work, with business associates, friends and relatives,” Salva went on.
Salva then recounted the story on how he came to blows with Magtulis, saying the FEU assistant coach challenged his son to a fist fight then turned to him when he asked what was the problem.
The incident then escalated to a shouting match before the bouncers at the venue intervened.
“(However), it is a different matter when an opponent’s 37-year-old coach threatens my 22-year-old son and challenges him to a fist fight outside of the playing court,” Salva said.
“I was just being a father — my son was threatened and I wanted to protect him… I did not physically harm Magtulis nor make any threatening motion.”
“I trust that the UAAP board rectifies its error in judgement in order to clear my name and allow me to watch my son to play his last few games in his final year from the patron section where I have watched and supported him all throughout his collegiate career,” Salva ended.