Pacquiao OKs settlement of defamation suit vs Mayweather
Philippine Daily Inquirer
Another hurdle has been cleared for Manny Pacquiao’s possible fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. next year.
Pacquiao has agreed to settle a defamation case he filed against Mayweather in December 2009, proving that the eight-division world champion is really intent on forging a fight with the unbeaten American.
Though the terms of the pretrial agreement filed Tuesday in US District Court in Las Vegas are confidential, lawyer Malcolm LaVergne told the Associated Press that “The matter has been resolved.”
The 33-year-old Pacquiao, who’s slated to tangle with Juan Manuel Marquez on Dec. 8 in Las Vegas, filed the lawsuit in December 2009 after Mayweather issued statements suggesting that he used performance-enhancing substances to further boost his ring prowess.
In a statement released Tuesday through the mediator in the case, the Mayweathers said they “wish to make it clear that they never intended to claim that Manny Pacquiao has used or is using any performance-enhancing drugs, nor are they aware of any evidence that Manny Pacquiao has used performance-enhancing drugs.”
The direction of the case took a turn against Mayweather last week, when the judge issued a ruling ordering him to pay about $114,000 in legal fees and costs for avoiding questioning under oath from Pacquiao’s lawyers.
LaVergne said Tuesday he had no information about whether the court settlement means Mayweather and Pacquiao will meet in the ring.
Pacquiao’s promoter, Bob Arum of Top Rank Inc., declined comment. His spokesman, Lee Samuels, said the company was not involved in the defamation case.
Nevada State Athletic Commission chief Keith Kizer said he wasn’t aware of any talks between the two camps about scheduling a fight.
Trying to lure Mayweather into what promises to be the most lucrative fight ever, Pacquiao recently announced that he’s now willing to accept the lesser purse and undergo random drug testing up to the day of the fight.