Go Teng Kok gets SC backing on POC bidBy June Navarro
Philippine Daily Inquirer
The screening panel for the Philippine Olympic Committee elections will convene on Nov. 5 to decide the fate of athletics chief Go Teng Kok in the coming POC polls.
The POC commission on election, chaired by former congressman and volleyball chief Victorico Chaves, will settle with finality the eligibility of Go, who was earlier declared persona non grata by the local Olympic body.
The long-time Philippine Amateur Track and Field Association head filed his candidacy to challenge Jose “Peping” Cojuangco Jr. in the Nov. 30 election at Alabang Country Club.
Go said he is more than qualified to run after the Supreme Court recently dismissed the petition of the POC on the persona non grata case.
Go received a copy of the notice almost nine months after the POC elevated the case to the High Court following a decision in Go’s favor issued by the Pasig Regional Trial Court.
The POC declared the Patafa president persona non grata in a general assembly last year for hailing top officials of the local Olympic body to court in the wake of the leadership tug-of-war in karatedo, which Go had served as president.
“The Supreme Court has spoken,” said Go. “There’s no more basis for them to disqualify my bid to run as POC president.”
Go said he was forced to run against Cojuangco due to the absence of another candidate willing to face the incumbent.
The group of national sports associations opposed to Cojuangco earlier failed to tap a candidate to challenge the former Tarlac congressman after sports patron Manny V. Pangilinan backed out of the POC exercise.