Former WBA Interim super flyweight titleholder Drian Francisco wants to make a strong impression in his debut in the United States by knocking out his Mexican opponent in the undercard of the Brian Viloria-Hernan ‘‘Tyson’’ Marquez title fight this Saturday (Sunday in Manila).
Now 30, Francisco of the Saved by the Bell Promotions said he is determined to put up a good show by flooring Mexican Javier Gallo (18-5-1,10 knockouts) in their bout at 122 pounds.
“I’d love to go for a knockout,’’ Francisco told Philboxing.com’s Jhay Otamias.
Francisco has been training under Justin Fortune in Los Angeles.
With a 23-1-1, 18 KO record, he created a stir in his last bout where he downed Mexican Jose Carlos Vargas thrice in the first round of their clash in Mexico.
In an earlier interview, Francisco’s adviser Elmer Anuran said his ward is ripe for a world championship fight.
Described by Fortune as an awkward but tough and powerful fighter, Francisco came close to a world title in 2010 when he beat Thai Duangpetch Kokietgym interim crown. But his fight against Hugo Cazares for the world title didn’t happen as he lost to another Thai,Tepparith Kokietgym, by unanimous decision in his initial defense of the interim crown last year in Thailand.
Anuran said there is a possibility that Francisco will be able to fight the winner between WBA titlist and two-time Olympic champion Guillermo Rigondeaux (11-0, 8 knockouts) and Thai veteran Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym (48-2, 33 knockoputs) on Dec. 15 at the Toyota Center in Houston, Texas.
‘‘We are doing everything to arrange a title fight for Drian. He is ripe for a world title,’’ Anuran told the PSA Forum last Tuesday at Shakey’s Malate.
Anuran added that newly crowned WBO bantamweight champion Purluang Sor Singyu of Thailand is also being eyed as an opponent for Francisco.