Quantcast
Latest Stories

Nadal withdraws from Australian Open

By

This June 26, 2012 file photo shows Rafael Nadal of Spain returning a shot to Thomaz Bellucci of Brazil during a first round men’s singles match at the All England Lawn Tennis Championships at Wimbledon, England. Nadal has confirmed he is ready to return to competitive tennis at the end of the month in an exhibition tournament in Abu Dhabi, following a six-month break to recover from a knee injury. The 11-time Grand Slam champion said on his Facebook page Tuesday, Dec. 11, 2012, that he “can’t wait to get back on court in Abu Dhabi,” and that he “would love to get my hands on the trophy again this year!” AP/Anja Niedringhaus

BARCELONA, Spain — Rafael Nadal will miss next month’s Australian Open because of a stomach virus, further delaying his comeback after being sidelined since June with a knee injury.

The 26-year-old Spaniard said Friday he has been forced to withdraw from the Grand Slam event from Jan. 14-27 and the preceding Qatar Open at Doha.

The same virus kept him from making his return at Abu Dhabi this week.

Nadal said his decision to withdraw from the two events had nothing to do with the tendinitis in his left knee, which made him take a hiatus since last summer following his second-round loss to then 100th-ranked Lukas Rosol at Wimbledon in June.

“My knee is much better and the rehabilitation process has gone well as predicted by the doctors,” Nadal said in a statement from his hometown of Manacor on the island of Mallorca. “But this virus didn’t allow me to practice this past week and therefore I am sorry to announce that I will not play in Doha and the Australian Open.”

The former No. 1 said he hopes to make his long-awaited return at Acapulco starting on Feb. 27. However, he did not rule out playing at an earlier tournament if his recovery went well.

“As my team and doctors say, the safest thing to do is to do things well and this virus has delayed my plans of playing these weeks,” said Nadal. “I always said that my return to competition will be when I am in the right conditions to play and after all this time away from the courts I’d rather not accelerate the comeback and prefer to do things well.”

Nadal’s doctor, Angel Ruiz-Cotorro, said in the same statement that Nadal needed at least a week to recover from the virus, ruling him out for the Qatar Open set to start on Jan. 2.

And Nadal’s coach and uncle, Toni Nadal, explained that Nadal had then opted against making his return at Melbourne since he wouldn’t be physically fit to take on its five-set format.

“We consider not appropriate to play the Australian Open since we will not have enough preparation for a greater competition which is a Grand Slam tournament,” said Toni Nadal in the statement. “It is simply not conceivable that his first event is a best of five sets event, he wouldn’t be ready for that.”

Nadal’s knee injury prevented the 11-time Grand Slam winner from defending his Olympic singles gold at last summer’s London Games, where he was supposed to be Spain’s flag bearer in the opening ceremony. He also had to pull out of the U.S. Open and Spain’s Davis Cup final against the Czech Republic, which his teammates lost without him.

Nadal, who is currently ranked fourth, won the Australian Open in 2009. Last year, he lost to top-ranked Novak Djokovic in an epic final that lasted five hours and 53 minutes, the longest ever match at the event and the longest men’s Grand Slam final on record.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.


Tags: Australian Open , London Games , Rafael Nadal , Tennis



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Mayweather diehard Bieber eats pride, poses with Pacquiao for photo op
  2. Tale of fighting unwashed foe provides comic relief for Pacquiao’s Palace call
  3. Tough cast of possible Manny Pacquiao foes
  4. Talk ‘N Text knocks off listless Ginebra, enters semis
  5. Goodbye MGM, Las Vegas for Pacquiao?
  6. Tale of the Tape: Julaton’s MMA debut on May 2 vs. Saber
  7. Shakey’s V-League: Lady Agilas nip Lady Altas
  8. Express forge knockout tiff Use hot start to whip Beermen
  9. Pacquiao top Mayweather contender
  10. Texters book semifinal slot
  1. Mayweather diehard Bieber eats pride, poses with Pacquiao for photo op
  2. Goodbye MGM, Las Vegas for Pacquiao?
  3. Pacquiao top Mayweather contender
  4. What Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather could do
  5. Tough cast of possible Manny Pacquiao foes
  6. Manny Pacquiao in PBA? If so, he’ll wear No. 17
  7. Tale of fighting unwashed foe provides comic relief for Pacquiao’s Palace call
  8. Pacquiao shorts in Bradley fight sold for P1.7M in LA auction
  9. Ageless Hopkins pitches 50-50 Mayweather deal
  10. Federer would skip tennis to be with wife, newborn
  1. Mayweather diehard Bieber eats pride, poses with Pacquiao for photo op
  2. ‘Mommy D’ steals show as son fights
  3. Goodbye MGM, Las Vegas for Pacquiao?
  4. Pacquiao wins unanimous decision vs Bradley to reclaim WBO title
  5. Pacquiao: I’m ready for Mayweather bout
  6. Mayweather surprise visitor to Bradley camp
  7. Bradley won’t last distance– Peñalosa
  8. Manny Pacquiao: I’ll have everything back
  9. Pacquiao top Mayweather contender
  10. Mommy Dionisia explains ‘vodoo’ act vs Bradley

News

  • Save the queen? Aide takes fall for Enrile, Gigi Reyes
  • Napoles turnaround alarms whistle-blowers
  • Palace prepared to charge its allies
  • 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  • PNP chief on plunder raps: ‘Amateurish’
  • Sports

  • Mixers trim Aces, force do-or-die tiff
  • Donaire junks Garcia as coach, taps father
  • ’Bye Ginebra: No heavy heart this time
  • UAAP board tackles new rules
  • Baguio climb to decide Le Tour de Filipinas
  • Lifestyle

  • Entering the monkhood a rite of passage
  • Haneda International Airport: A destination on its own
  • Wanted: Beauty queen with a heart that beats for the environment
  • Kim Atienza: At home with art and design
  • Life lessons I want to teach my son
  • Entertainment

  • Return of ‘Ibong Adarna’
  • Practical Phytos plans his future
  • In love … with acting
  • From prison to the peak of success
  • ‘Asedillo’ location thrives
  • Business

  • Philippine Airlines to stop shipment of shark fins
  • PH banks not ready for Asean integration
  • Stocks down on profit-taking
  • Banks allowed to use ‘cloud’
  • SMIC to issue P15-B bonds
  • Technology

  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Mark Caguioa lambasts Ginebra teammates on Twitter
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 24, 2014
  • Talking to Janet
  • Respite
  • Bucket list
  • JPII in 1981: walking a tightrope
  • Global Nation

  • China and rivals sign naval pact to ease maritime tensions
  • What Went Before: Manila bus hostage crisis
  • Obama arrives in Tokyo, first stop of 4-nation tour
  • Believe it or not: Filipinos love US more than Yanks
  • PH, HK end bitter row; sanctions lifted
  • Marketplace