Quantcast
Latest Stories

San Beda offers Fernandez 3-year contract

By

Reigning NCAA champion San Beda plans to offer new coach Boyet Fernandez a three-year pact as it tries to sustain its dominance in the country’s oldest collegiate basketball league.

A champion coach in the PBA and in the D-League, Fernandez was picked to succeed Ronnie Magsanoc, who resigned from the post last December after steering the Lions to a third straight crown in his only season at the helm.

“We’re hoping that he stays longer so we’ll offer him at least a three-year contract,” San Beda team manager Jude Roque said, pointing out that the Lions already have been through three coaches in the last seven years.

The finer details of Fernandez’s contract have yet to be discussed, but the former Sta. Lucia and concurrent NLEX mentor was introduced to the San Beda community Wednesday.

“I am grateful for the opportunity. Its a blessing, but there are alot of challenges ahead and I have huge shoes to fill because of the legacy left by coach Ronnie (Magsanoc) and coach Frankie Lim,” said Fernandez, who got the call from San Beda chief backer Manny V. Pangilinan himself Wednesday.

Fernandez was part of Magsanoc’s staff last season at the San Beda bench and his name immediately cropped up as replacement as soon as the head coach quit. But it was only until Dec. 31 that his appointment was confirmed after Roque met with school officials.

“There won’t be a lot of changes because coach Boyet and coach Ronnie implement the same system at Meralco,” said Roque. Both Fernandez and Magsanoc are assistants under Meralco coach Ryan Gregorio.

Fernandez takes over the squad that remains formidable even with the graduation of three key players. Still with the squad are Nigerian center Ola Adeogun and veterans Rome dela Rosa, Kyle Pascual and Baser Amer, who all played key roles in the championship run last year.

San Beda’s appointment meant that only three NCAA teams remain without a coach entering the new year with Mapua already appointing PBA great Atoy Co to call the shots next season.

Letran, St. Benilde and San Sebastian are expected to make announcements soon on their own coaching vacancies.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


More NCAA news

Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.


Tags: Basketball , Boyet Fernandez , NCAA , San Beda



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement

News

  • Sayyaf man linked to Sipadan kidnapping falls
  • Drilon calls for sobriety as mudslinging, witch hunts loom due to pork scam
  • S. Korea ferry toll hits 150 as search gets tougher
  • If Napoles names Aquino allies, they’ll be brought to bar of justice – Palace
  • Lacson says diamond-studded earring snatched from wife fake
  • Sports

  • Wizards beat Bulls in OT to take 2-0 series lead
  • Pacers rally past Hawks 101-85 to even series
  • David Moyes out as Manchester United manager
  • Nadal to face fellow Spaniard at Barcelona Open
  • Defensive Chelsea holds Atletico in scoreless draw
  • Lifestyle

  • Haneda International Airport: A destination on its own
  • Wanted: Beauty queen with a heart that beats for the environment
  • Kim Atienza: At home with art and design
  • Life lessons I want to teach my son
  • Sweet party for Andi Manzano
  • Entertainment

  • Ex-Fox exec denies allegations in sex abuse suit
  • Kris Aquino backtracks, says Herbert Bautista and her are ‘best friends’
  • Summer preview: Chris Pratt enters a new ‘Galaxy’
  • Bon Jovi helps open low-income housing in US
  • Summer movie preview: Bay reboots ‘Transformers’
  • Business

  • McDonald’s 1Q profit slips as US sales decline
  • SEC approves SM’s P15B retail bond offer
  • $103M Vista Land bonds tendered for redemption
  • Oil slips to $102 as US crude supplies seen rising
  • SC stops Meralco power rate hike anew
  • Technology

  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Mark Caguioa lambasts Ginebra teammates on Twitter
  • Brazil passes trailblazing Internet privacy law
  • New York police Twitter campaign backfires badly
  • Opinion

  • One-dimensional diplomacy: A cost-benefit analysis of Manila’s security deal with Washington
  • No ordinary illness
  • Reforest mountains with fire trees and their kind
  • Day of the Earth
  • When will Chinese firm deliver new coaches?
  • Global Nation

  • No word yet on inking of US-PH defense pact during Obama visit
  • Filipina, 51, shot dead by 24-year-old American boyfriend
  • China, rivals sign pact to ease maritime tensions
  • Visa-free US trip? Do not believe it, says consulate
  • Obama visit to Asia seen as counterweight to China
  • Marketplace