Donaire-Mares bout off for good?


10:17 PM January 27th, 2013

By: Marc Anthony Reyes, January 27th, 2013 10:17 PM

Nonito Donaire Jr. and Abner Mares

All the buzz over a possible showdown between super bantamweight kings Nonito Donaire Jr. and Abner Mares fizzled out just as quickly as it raged on the Internet over the weekend.

The 30-year-old Filipino WBO champ backed out of the negotiations, accusing the Golden Boy Promotions that handles Mares of insincerity in offering Top Rank $3 million for the right to promote the fight either in late May or June 30.

Addressing his more than 80,000 followers on Twitter, Donaire said neither Top Rank nor his manager Cameron Dunkin has yet to receive a formal offer from GBP.

The fight date, he also said, runs smack with the scheduled delivery of his pregnant wife Rachel.

“As I have said two weeks before, I’m not going to take fights in May, June or July,” said Donaire, adding he will devote time to their first born.

He also chided GBP for proposing a fight date halfway through the year when “it’s only January.”

Donaire, in firing tweets to GBP and Mares’ camp, also posted ultrasound vidcaps of their baby whom they plan to name Jarel, which stands for “Jun And Rachel Everlasting Love.”

That leaves Donaire with two other possible foes for his April playdate, either against Cuban WBA champion Guillermo Rigondeaux or the Filipino’s previous victim Vic Darchinyan.

Rigondeaux claims he has been in training for months and is ready to fight the Filipino Flash anytime, anywhere.

Top Rank chief Bob Arum remained mum on the issue although he previously asked GBP to offer him an amount to get the WBC champ Mares to fight Donaire.

GBP CEO Richard Schaefer, however, claimed Arum only offered $1 million.

Disclaimer: Comments do not represent the views of We reserve the right to exclude comments which are inconsistent with our editorial standards. FULL DISCLAIMER

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.