FLOYD Mayweather Jr. is at it again.
In an article that came out in Philboxing.com, Floyd again opened his big mouth and said that the much awaited fight between him and 8-division world titlist Manny Pacquiao may still push through.
But in order for the fight of the century to happen, Floyd again set a couple of conditions.
First, Manny had to beat Juan Manuel Marquez in a fifth fight.
Then the Saranggani congressman, he said, will have to settle his problem with Timothy Bradley, whatever that means. Maybe Floyd Jr. is saying that the Pacman has to consent to a rematch with the American boxer, who beat him by a controversial split decision last year.
* * *
Mayweather very recently signed a 6-fight contract with Showtime. The very first of these fights is scheduled on May 4 against Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero, a 29 year-old southpaw who holds a record of 31 wins, 18 knockouts, 1 loss and l draw.
The youthful Guerrero is said to be very eager to make it to big-time boxing.
Previously, Mayweather demanded that for the Pacquiao-Mayweather showdown to push through, Pacquiao will have to undergo a drug test. Pacquiao consented, but still nothing happened.
The promoters of the two tried to negotiate again, but the parties failed to agree on the purse. The clock is ticking. Is Floyd still scared to mar his clean win slate?
* * *
The call from athletics president Go Teng Kok was expected, although he has been practically incommunicado since the POC elections last November.
“I had to call you because you had misunderstood what I had texted. I have not called anyone from the press since November but I had to make you an exception, to set the record straight,” Go Temg Kok said.
I admitted I had so much difficulty decoding his text message which was written in jejemon language.
“Pease explain what you were trying to say, in the clearest way possible,” I requested him.
* * *
“First of all, I want to clarify that Philip Ella Juico did not get any help from me when he was appointed PSC chair, PGA president and a member of President Cory Aquino’s cabinet during her administration.”
“He is so close to the Aquinos and the Cojuangcos he doesn’t need anybody’s help. Besides, I have neither influence nor power to help him,” Mr. Go said.
“I have nothing against Philip being my successor. After all, he is highly qualified for the position. He’ll be the first person in my mind if I call it quits.”
“And that’s a big if.”
According to Mr. Go, one of the major reasons why he’s giving up his post is, he’s making good his word that he will resign if Peping Cojuangco continues to be POC president.
If ever, the process—the turnover—would be made faster if Juico would help him (GTK) clear his name, which has been tarnished by Cojuangco and his cohorts in the POC who expelled him and declared him persona non grata.
In his search for a replacement, GTK said he conducted a mini-survey among 17 people, majority of them members of the media. He asked the group to text in the name of the person he/she is endorsing.
GTK said different names were mentioned: Ramon Ang of San Miguel Corporation, former PSC chair Harry Angping, former Gintong Alay project director Michael Keon, former immigration commissioner Rufus Rodriguez, former De la Salle Green Archers team manager Terry Capistrano and Juico.