Quantcast
Latest Stories

PBA bans Petron import for life

For going after the refs, choking Santos, Balkman also fined P250,000

By

With his Petron teammates and coaches right behind him, Renaldo Balkman explains his actions to PBA commissioner Chito Salud (right) to no avail. PHOTOS COURTESY OF NUKI SABIO / PBA MEDIA OFFICE

Renaldo Balkman, Petron Blaze’s talented but temperamental import, has promised to reform himself. But he will have to turn a new leaf on another court, in another country.

Philippine Basketball Association commissioner Chito Salud yesterday dropped the axe on the NBA veteran, banning Balkman from playing in the PBA as an offshoot of his blatant display of unsportmanlike behavior in Petron’s losing game against Alaska last Wednesday.

Salud also fined Balkman P250,000 for going after the referees, ignoring and refusing to be pacified by the Petron coaching staff and his teammates and, ultimately, for choking superstar teammate Arwind Santos who was trying to calm him down in the waning seconds against the Aces.

A day after the incident, Balkman issued a public apology through San Miguel Corp., saying he had already sought forgiveness from Petron officials and players after the game.

Balkman appeared before Salud yesterday accompanied by all his teammates and the coaching staff led by Olsen Racela who showed their full support for the import who had led them to a 5-2 record in the Commissioner’s Cup eliminations.

Robert Non, the league chair and overall head of basketball operations of the San Miguel Group, said last Sunday they had decided to give Balkman a second chance and that they had no replacement in mind at the moment.

But Balkman’s past haunted him. Salud pointed to a headbutting incident in a Fiba Americas game against Venezuela where Balkman played for Puerto Rico as a naturalized citizen, as well as to a recent incident, also against Alaska, in the Sinulog Cup in Cebu.

“I also took into consideration Balkman’s evident disregard for … the host country’s sensibilities highlighted by his choking act on-court, in full public view, of his own teammate,” Salud said in a statement.

“Stiff as it may be, this decision upholds the tenets of contextual accountability and the overall interest of the league and its fans.”

Balkman later talked to the media after his conference with Salud and showed remorse for  what he did.

“He (Salud) basically said I’m the leader and a role model of kids, (and) that’s what really hurts the most,” said Balkman. “In everybody’s eyes I’m the villain, (but) I’m not that type of guy.”

Balkman and the rest of the team actually patched things up inside their dugout after that loss to Alaska, with Santos the first one to approach the import to tell him that it was OK.

But the incident left a bad taste in the mouth, and apparently, the league saw it that way.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.


Tags: Basketball , PBA , Renaldo Balkman

  • http://profile.yahoo.com/NYXLJEIPCKLLDV66CI2QXQG2EE George 07

    When then Ron Artest (now Metta Worldpeace of the Lakers) was playing for Indiana Pacers,
    he did ran after a fan (together with another Indiana player (O’Neal or Jackson?) during a game
    and did throw punches at that fan together with that another player.  The NBA suspended them
    for one year.  If you compare what Balkman did to what Artest and company did, Artest actions
    were worst.  A PBA player did it also in the past, throwing punches to a fan.  And this PBA player was also suspended but not for life, but for one year. Now, how was the verdict decided
    upon.  I understand it was decided by the Commissioner after his meeting with the two assistants.  I agree with the comments of Mr. Henson that a one-game suspension with a
    P500,000 fine could have been an option.



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement

News

  • Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
  • [VIDEO] No assurances on Janet Lim-Napoles’ bid to become state witness
  • South Sudan president fires long-time army leader
  • Grenade explodes outside MPD Station 1
  • 25 cops ordered relieved over links to drugs
  • Sports

  • Pacquiao can dodge tax issues
  • F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone rejects bribery charges
  • Big Chill freezes Cafe France to arrest skid
  • Pacquiao has to go through PBA Rookie draft
  • Guiao summoned by PBA for name-calling incident
  • Lifestyle

  • Gongs and southern dances star in a workshop at San Francisco Bayanihan Center
  • This woman ate what?
  • Photos explore dynamics of youths’ sexual identity
  • 12th Philippine Food Expo set at the World Trade Center
  • No tourist draw, Malang the croc will remain wild
  • Entertainment

  • Smithsonian wants photos, videos for ‘Day in the Life of Asian Pacific Americans’
  • What Garcia Marquez left behind
  • Has Ai Ai fallen deeply with ‘sireno?’
  • Sony developing live-action Barbie comedy
  • California court won’t review Jackson doctor case
  • Business

  • Metro Pacific acquires stake in Victorias
  • How ‘one percent’ economic elite was uncovered
  • Facebook profits triple as mobile soars
  • Insular Honors Sales Performers at Testimonial Rites
  • Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock
  • Technology

  • Enrile in Masters of the Universe, Lord of the Rings?
  • Top Traits of Digital Marketers
  • No truth to viral no-visa ‘chronicles’
  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 24, 2014
  • Talking to Janet
  • Respite
  • Bucket list
  • JPII in 1981: walking a tightrope
  • Global Nation

  • Obama to visit Filipino soldiers in Fort Bonifacio
  • Fil-Am youth conferences unite under one theme
  • Embassy advisory: Filipinos still need visas to enter US
  • No travel restriction to Mideast, DFA clarifies
  • PH-HK relations repaired, but families of victims still being courted
  • Marketplace