B-Meg taps St. Benilde’s Richard Del Rosario
HONG KONG—Richard del Rosario gets his first big coaching break after he was named acting head coach of the B-Meg Llamados for the 37th PBA Season opening October 2 at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.
A journeyman center during his playing days, Del Rosario takes over from Jorge Gallent at the helm of the underachieving Llamados with the Philippine Cup just more than a month away.
Del Rosario was named to an acting capacity so he could finish his commitment as head coach of the St. Benilde Blazers in the ongoing NCAA Season.
The San Miguel group, of which B-Meg is a significant unit, also made Ato Agustin acting head coach last year to allow the 1992 Most Valuable Player to finish his coaching obligations with San Sebastian.
Del Rosario’s appointment has cemented all coaching spots in the San Miguel teams after Siot Tanquingcen was named co-head coach with Jong Uichico at Barangay Ginebra.
Gallent, after compiling a 20-24 win-loss record last season, will slide down as Del Rosario’s assistant.
The appointment of Del Rosario comes on the heels of Tim Cone’s reported resignation over at Alaska, which team manager Joaqui Trillo had denied Tuesday.
“He was with us in the Rookie Draft (last Sunday, on the eve of the board members’ departure for Hong Kong),” Trillo said. “What I know is that he will be there tomorrow (today) for the first day of practice of our rookies.”
Cone, who has coached Alaska in all his 22 PBA years and won 13 championships with the Aces, including a rare Grand Slam in 1996, has reportedly opted out of the last two years of his new pact with the Uytengsu franchise
But sources said that a press conference concerning the matter will be held later this week.