Nadal ousted by Ferrer in Monte Carlo quarters
MONACO—Rafael Nadal lost to Spanish compatriot David Ferrer 7-6 (1), 6-4 in the quarterfinals on Friday, his earliest exit at the Monte Carlo Masters in 11 years.
While he beat Nadal just last year, Ferrer hadn’t defeated Nadal on clay since 2004.
A day after becoming the 11th man in the Open era to reach 300 wins on clay, Nadal committed 44 unforced errors and was broken four times in the face of Ferrer’s relentless attack. Ferrer lost his own serve three times in the two-hour, 13-minute match.
Nadal won eight consecutive Monte Carlo titles from 2005-12 before he lost last year’s final to Novak Djokovic.
Meanwhile, Stanislas Wawrinka reached his first semifinals since winning the Australian Open after beating eighth-seeded Milos Raonic of Canada 7-6 (5), 6-2.
The third-seeded Wawrinka reached the semis five years ago, losing to Novak Djokovic. He faces sixth-seeded Ferrer next.
“I know I am supposed to be among the favorites, but every time I play a match I am in the state of mind of a challenger who is trying to win an additional match,” said Wawrinka, who went out in the third round of Masters events at Indian Wells and Key Biscayne.
He did not face a single break point and broke the Canadian twice in the second set.
“I was really focused on my serve to be really aggressive from the first shot, to make him move, to make him work every ball,” Wawrinka said. “I just feel strong from the baseline. I feel good physically. I know that on clay courts, if I play my best tennis, I can beat those guys.”
Raonic missed chances when he led 3-0 and 5-3 in the tiebreaker.
Djokovic, the defending champion, was in action against Spaniard Guillermo Garcia-Lopez, while fourth-seeded Roger Federer was to play No. 9 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.