Brazil sets aside $856M for World Cup security
BRASILIA, Brazil — Brazilian officials say they are setting aside about $856 million and preparing 157,000 soldiers and police officers for the security plan for the monthlong World Cup.
Defense Minister Celso Amorim told a news conference Friday that Brazil is “perfectly prepared” to guarantee security for citizens and visitors to the dozen cities hosting the soccer tournament beginning June 12.
Justice Minister Jose Eduardo Cardozo said authorities don’t anticipate protests as intense as those seen during last year’s Confederations Cup, a warm up for this year’s championship.
The ministers said the money will be used to buy equipment including patrol cars, aircraft, computers and non-lethal weapons, and for specialized training for such things as terrorism prevention and handling explosives, as well as expanding intelligence services.
Get the hottest sports news straight into your inbox
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.