US quintet cancels Senegal trip over Ebola concerns | Inquirer Sports

US quintet cancels Senegal trip over Ebola concerns

/ 01:55 AM August 17, 2014

LOS ANGELES—USA Basketball has canceled the team’s trip to Senegal because of fears over the deadly Ebola outbreak, federation chair Jerry Colangelo said Friday.

The men’s team, stocked with NBA stars, had been scheduled to visit Africa for the first time on Aug. 27, with a day of basketball clinics, tours and other functions in Dakar.

Although Senegal is not one of the countries so far afflicted in West Africa, Colangelo said its position bordering Guinea and Dakar’s role as a gateway to West Africa heightened concerns.

The US team’s trip was to follow a game against Slovenia on Aug. 26 on Spain’s Gran Canaria island.

The United States opens its Fiba World Cup campaign against Finland in Bilbao, Spain, on Aug. 30. AFP

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

TAGS: Ebola, Jerry Colangelo, Senegal, US

© Copyright 1997-2024 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.