Floyd’s fight statement anytime now?
THE ANTICIPATION of the megabout between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. has reached fever pitch as virtually the entire boxing world is now waiting for a final announcement from the undefeated American that the fight is a go.
Various boxing websites, quoting sources, reported that all signs point to the two fighters finally agreeing on a contract for the $250-million event, slated May 2 in Las Vegas.
Every detail of the contract, which is said to favor Mayweather heavily, has been ironed out, the sites have reported.
A source told the Inquirer that Pacquiao has already signed the contract, which is now in transit to the US.
ESPN’s Dan Rafael, on his Twitter account, wrote: “Basically every1 involved in #MayweatherPacquiao (both sides) simply waiting for Floyd to announce. All are calm & say negotiation complete.”
In Manila, sources with business associates in Las Vegas revealed that MGM Grand has already started buying back advanced bookings in the hotel in preparation for a windfall the fight is expected to generate for its rooms and posh villas.
Meanwhile, team insiders from the PBA’s KIA Motors, where Pacquiao is playing coach, have said that the Filipino ring icon has already hinted he will slowly take on a diminished role with the team to begin training for the Mayweather bout.
The fight is expected to be the highest-grossing match in history, with pay-per-view rates expected to hit $100. Britain’s Daily Mail reported that the contract has a rematch clause pegged at $300 million.
The biggest fight in terms of income generated so far is Mayweather’s 2007 duel with Oscar De La Hoya, which collected $120 million.
Your weekly sports analysis
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.