Chris Weidman defends UFC title, stops Belfort in 1st round | Inquirer Sports

Chris Weidman defends UFC title, stops Belfort in 1st round

/ 12:46 PM May 24, 2015
UFC 187 Mixed Martial Arts

Chris Weidman pounds Vitor Belfort during their middleweight mixed martial arts bout at UFC 187 Saturday, May 23, 2015, in Las Vegas. AP

LAS VEGAS — Chris Weidman stopped Vitor Belfort in the first round with a relentless series of punches on the ground Saturday night, defending his middleweight title at UFC 187.

Weidman (13-0) survived an early scare from Belfort and quickly took control of his third title defense, taking down Belfort and battering his head against the canvas until referee Herb Dean stopped the bout with 2:07 left.

ADVERTISEMENT

Weidman jumped up and walked around the cage with an American flag on his back, celebrating his latest dominant victory.

“Stop doubting me. It’s enough,” Weidman yelled to the crowd. “You’d better join the team now. This is the last invitation.”

FEATURED STORIES

The 38-year-old Belfort (24-11) briefly appeared to get Weidman in trouble, backing him against the cage while Weidman covered up. But Weidman landed a takedown and took control, mounting Belfort and battering him.

“He hit me with some good shots, but I’ve been there in sparring,” Weidman said. “I was just covering, covering, covering, and I was ready to come back.”

Weidman hadn’t fought since last July, when he won a decision over Lyoto Machida in his second defense of the title he took from Anderson Silva in 2013.

His bout with Belfort was postponed twice in the past year when Weidman got injured in training, but the Long Island native returned with a dominant performance.

“He got me in a bad position, and he got some strikes,” Belfort said. “There’s no excuse. He was a better man tonight.”

Belfort hadn’t fought since late 2013, waiting 18 months for his shot at a chance to become the third fighter in UFC history to win belts in two weight classes.

The former light heavyweight champion won three fights with spectacular head-kick knockouts in 2013 while fighting in his native Brazil.

ADVERTISEMENT

But Belfort’s late-career resurgence was colored by his enthusiastic embrace of testosterone replacement therapy, a medical loophole that allowed several UFC fighters to legally compete on steroids until the Nevada Athletic Commission and the UFC eliminated it last year.

Weidman was among Belfort’s most vocal critics, suggesting the veteran couldn’t have made such a surge without performance-enhancing help. Belfort returned to the cage Saturday with a notably different physique, but Weidman’s all-around skill was too much.

RELATED STORIES

Weidman unanimously outpoints Machida at UFC 175

Weidman retains title after Silva injury

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Chris Weidman, Mixed Martial Arts, MMA, Sports, UFC 187, Vitor Belfort
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our sports news

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2023 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.