Gasquet out of Rio with back injury
Frenchman Richard Gasquet has pulled out of next month’s Rio Olympics because of a back injury with Benoit Paire taking his place, the French Tennis Federation (FFT) said on Monday.
It is the second time the 30-year-old, who won doubles bronze with Julien Benneteau in London four years ago, has pulled out of the Games after he also missed Beijing in 2008.
“Injured in the back, Richard Gasquet has withdrawn from competing in the Olympics. He will be replaced by Benoit Paire,” the FFT said in a statement.
Gasquet, the world number 14, has not played since pulling out of his fourth-round encounter with compatriot Jo-Wilfried Tsonga at Wimbledon earlier this month.
Get the hottest sports news straight into your inbox
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.