‘Fists of the Future’ starts push for Filipino boxing in US
SAN MATEO, California — Despite the knockout loss of highly touted “Prince Albert” Pagara in one of two main events of the recent “Pinoy Pride 37 — Fists of the Future” in San Mateo Convention Center, promoters and organizers are upbeat on the future of Filipino boxers here in the United States.
“The whole night was a huge success. We didn’t expect to have this big turnout being the first kind of this event in the Bay Area. With seven wall to wall actions, it was a big boxing night for the Bay Area,” Ricky Resureccion, The Filipino Channel North America ad and events head, beamed.
In the co-main event, Albert’s brother, Jason “El Niño” Pagara, knocked out Abraham Alvarez 55 seconds into the third round of their welterweight showdown.
“Pinoy Pride” is a program on ABS-CBN Sports in partnership with Ala International Promotions to make to make a mark for Filipino boxing here in the US.
TFC project lead Alvin Gomez said that “Fists of the Future” is for sports fans and sports-minded viewers who are otherwise used to watching news, teleseryes and variety shows.
“We will have more boxing bouts scheduled on September 24 in Carson, California featuring more upcoming Filipino boxers like eight-year WBO Junior Flyweight Champion Donnie “Ahas” Nietes and IBF Youth Featherweight Champion Mark “Magnifico” Magsayo.”
Philippine Consul-General to San Francisco Henry Bensurto Jr. who was at the ringside to lend much-needed moral support was happy for Filipino boxers who were inspired by Manny Pacquiao and company.
“Manny Pacquiao has opened the gate for may Filipino boxers, and now we see a lot of Filipino boxers on the international scene,” Bensurto said.
Daly City Council member and candidate for a county supervisor seat as supervisor in San Mateo Mike Guingona took time out to see the bouts.
“It feels great being with our fellow Filipinos. I am just excited. It just shows that Filipinos love boxing,” Guingona said.
Suffering his first loss after winning 26 fights with 18 KOs, super bantamweight Albert Pagara first knocked down his Mexican opponent, Cesar Juarez, late in the first round before he had to be brought out in a stretcher after being himself knocked out 15 seconds into the 8th round.
Pagara, on leaving Stanford Hospital after a mandatory checkup, was quoted as saying he was sorry that Juarez got ahead of him
“Sorry talaga, (will try again) next time, naunahan ako,“ Pagara lamented. “I did everything I could. I will do better next time.”
After co-anchoring the television coverage of the fights with ABS-CBN sports events anchorwoman Dyan Castillejo, Filipino Flash Donaire was still all praises for Pagara.
“Pagara definitely has a lot of talent. Juarez has tenacity and we know that that is what he does. He never gives up. And I think that Pagara was too exhausted. He never expected that exhaustion would overwhelm his body, his mind and his heart. Juarez was getting stronger while Pagara was starting to slow down as he gave it all and never conserved his energy. A kid who has never been to that situation will always succumb to the negativity in his body, mind and hear. You got to give it to Juarez who was there to fight to win,” Donaire stressed.
Donaire added, “What lost the fight for Pagara was his eagerness to take Juarez out. Patience is one virtue that he needs. He also needs to learn to change his style, which is something he didn’t do.”
After the fight, Juarez challenged Donaire, who defeated him with a unanimous decision in December last year, to a rematch. Donaire agreed.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.