Close  

Relationship between Bosh, Heat continues disintegrating

/ 04:56 PM October 01, 2016
FILE - In this Feb. 3, 2016, file photo, Miami Heat forward Chris Bosh (1) reacts to a call during the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Dallas Mavericks, in Dallas. Bosh was dealing with more than one blood clot earlier this year, and said Wednesday, Sept. 21, 2016,  that he felt written off when Miami Heat team doctors advised him that the situation would likely be career-ending. (AP Photo/LM Otero, File)

FILE – In this Feb. 3, 2016, file photo, Miami Heat forward Chris Bosh (1) reacts to a call during the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Dallas Mavericks, in Dallas. Bosh was dealing with more than one blood clot earlier this year, and said Wednesday, Sept. 21, 2016, that he felt written off when Miami Heat team doctors advised him that the situation would likely be career-ending.
(AP Photo/LM Otero, File)

MIAMI — The relationship between Chris Bosh and the Miami Heat continued disintegrating Friday, with the All-Star saying that the team did not tell him before going public with their belief that he will not play for them again.

The Heat denied that assertion, with a team spokesman saying that calls, texts and emails to Bosh in the days before team president Pat Riley made that announcement earlier this week were not acknowledged.

ADVERTISEMENT

Riley offered similar sentiments Monday when revealing that ongoing concerns about Bosh’s health will keep him from being in the team plan going forward.

“I didn’t see my career in Miami ending like this,” Bosh said.

FEATURED STORIES

Bosh released another installment of his video series as well as a blog post Friday, with neither offering any specifics about his health. Bosh’s last two seasons ended at the All-Star break because of the discovery of blood clots. He failed a preseason physical and was not cleared by the team to resume basketball activities.

The Heat have not been able to share any other specific details, citing an NBA rule that prevents teams from divulging such information without the consent of the player involved.

Bosh has not given that consent to the team. He has not addressed why that’s the case.

“I guess my career in Miami is done,” Bosh said in the video, another one released through LeBron James’ digital platform called Uninterrupted. “My career’s not done. But I did not expect that, at all.”

Bosh said on the video that he threw his phone down and stormed out of the room when he got the news — but it was unclear what news he was referring to, whether it was the news that he failed his physical, or Riley’s announcement, or something else.

“There’s 29 other teams,” Bosh said. “There’s a whole league. One team does not make up the opinion of everything.”

Bosh is owed about $76 million over the next three seasons. His contract is guaranteed, though the Heat could try to get salary-cap relief starting in February.

ADVERTISEMENT

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Bosh, Heat, Miami Heat, Relationship
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.