Meralco Bolts sign Chris Lutz
Chris Lutz has found a new home as Meralco snagged the veteran swingman from the free agent pool.
Player agent Marvin Espiritu confirmed the deal to INQUIRER.net on Monday as the third pick of the 2011 PBA Draft has been acquired by the Bolts.
Averaging 7.8 points, 2.7 rebounds, and 2.8 assists for his career, Lutz’ professional run has been derailed by his nagging ankle injury, slowing him down the past season where he only normed 3.6 points, 1.3 rebounds, and 1.4 assists in the 21 games he played for San Miguel.
The 6-foot-3 guard has been on the road to recovery and was placed by the Beermen in the unrestricted list last week, giving the other teams a chance to secure his services.
Though Lutz will still be at the injury bay, Espiritu said that Lutz is targeting to return to action sometime this season.
Meralco team manager Paolo Trillo also expressed elation with the deal.
“We welcome the addition of Chris Lutz to the Meralco Bolts,” Trillo said.
“We like that Chris is a two-way player. He’ll give us more depth at different positions and will help our outside shooting and overall scoring. Mostly, he’s a character player who’ll help us get better.”
Alaska, Blackwater and TNT had previously inquired about getting Lutz’s services. But in the end, it’s with the Bolts where Lutz felt he will be most fit.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.