UST coach Sablan accepts Subido’s decision to skip, leaves door open for return
University of Santo Tomas coach Boy Sablan said he respects Renzo Subido’s decision to skip the Growling Tigers’ campaign in the UAAP Season 80, but made it clear that the door is always open for the point guard.
“It’s up to him,” Sablan said on Friday. “We’re always open for his return. Why would we not take him if he improves in the D-League and he decides to come back in the next season? But again, it’s his decision.”
Subido on Thursday announced that he will sit out this year, citing displeasure over his performance through his first three years in UST and would rather hone his skills in the PBA D-League with AMA Online Education.
“When we talked, I told him I was thankful of our time together. He knows what I did for him. The playing time he didn’t have in his past coaches, he got that from me. I gave him the opportunity to show what he can do. But maybe, it was his decision to try his luck in the other leagues,” Sablan said.
Subido averaged 6.7 points, 1.6 rebounds, and 1.4 assists in 16 minutes on the floor last year where the Tigers finished in eighth place.
Sablan said he fully supports Subido’s decision to suit up in the D-League.
“We were waiting for him in practice even when I was in Antique for Palarong Pambansa. And in fairness to Renzo, he told his side. He said he wanted to concentrate in the D-League and we can’t stop them if they say they want to grow there. I won’t stop them from doing what they want. But for us, we’re always open,” he said.
Subido’s absence leaves the playmaking duties to Marvin Lee, Jordan Sta. Ana, Oliver de Guzman, and Janrey Garrido for the upcoming season.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.