FIFA struggles to regain trust as judge decries new leaders
MANAMA, Bahrain — Even after a year under new leadership, FIFA is still pleading with the world: Trust us.
The message is proving as hard to sell as sponsorship of the World Cup.
Especially when FIFA President Gianni Infantino has been accused of ousting the ethics leadership whose mission was to clean up soccer’s scandal-tainted image.
German judge Hans-Joachim Eckert and Swiss prosecutor Cornel Borbely decried a “clearly politically motivated” decision by the Infantino-led council on Tuesday to prevent them remaining in their jobs.
“This will inevitably lead to a renewed loss of trust,” Eckert and Borbely said in a statement after discovering they were being replaced, “and further hurt the already tarnished image of FIFA.”
So much for the “new era” Infantino said he was ushering in after succeeding the discredited, banned president Sepp Blatter last year.
Eckert, who brought down Blatter in 2015, and Borbely said the new leadership has “accepted jeopardizing FIFA’s integrity, and, hence, the future of the game.”
The pair is clearly disgruntled at losing their jobs as watchdogs of world soccer, and FIFA is yet to respond to their damning critique.
But the outbursts from respected figures make Infantino’s “crisis is over” declaration at last year’s gathering of soccer’s 211 nations looking remarkably outlandish.
Criminal investigations are still exposing shady transactions. The suitability of members of the ruling council remains in doubt. Reforms intended to curb the powers of the president and restore FIFA’s credibility are being eroded.
Against this backdrop, FIFA has been trying to persuade commercial backers to sign up after so many were scared off by the corruption that plagued the Blatter’s 17-year reign.
FIFA’s leadership was able to start its congress week in Bahrain by trumpeting the arrival of Qatar Airways to fill the airline sponsorship category that has been vacant for more than two years. But the deal was anticipated given it is the state-owned carrier of the 2022 World Cup hosts.
A true test of the confidence of FIFA’s new hierarchy will come when major international corporations sign up that are not from China, Russia or Qatar — the source of all of FIFA’s new World Cup deals in recent years.
New sponsors in traditional strongholds like Japan and the United States have yet to convince shareholders they should partner with a scandal-tainted organization. Many were scared off in 2015 when FIFA’s reputation was shredded by widespread bribery being exposed after high-ranking executives were arrested in Zurich hotel raids.
“We hope that more (sponsors) will come before the end of the year,” FIFA secretary general Fatma Samoura told The Associated Press. “That was a strong signal from Qatar Airways to recognize the new leadership of FIFA is working toward restoring the image of FIFA and that there is climate of trust that is really here to push for more partnerships.”
Trust, according to Samoura, also comes through a new generation of officials being elected to the FIFA Council.
“It’s a strong demonstration that gender empowerment,” Samoura said, pointing to Mahfuza Akhter of Bangladesh being elected on Tuesday as Asia’s female representative at FIFA.
It was a surprise result. Moya Dodd, an outspoken critic of corruption and prominent champion of women’s football, lost to Akhter, who couldn’t name the Women’s World Cup holder in a post-election interview. American soccer stars Alex Morgan and Carli Lloyd were among those to express surprise at the setback for Dodd, an Australian lawyer who is still on the Asian Football Confederation executive committee.
“I’ve seen how passionate she is about changing the game and making it better,” said American forward Carli Lloyd, the reigning women’s FIFA Player of the Year. “You want people like that who are going to fight.”
Samoura, who was hired last year as FIFA’s first female secretary general, said FIFA could find a way to “make good use of her skills.”
Those skills were used by a reform committee in 2015 that helped to reshape FIFA following the U.S. Department of Justice indictments of soccer officials.
But Eckert and Borbely said FIFA’s failure to replace them “puts de facto an end to the reform efforts.”
The progress of some reforms already appear to have stalled — despite Infantino helping to draft them in the FIFA-appointed advisory panel while he was a presidential candidate.
Power should have drained from the presidency to the CEO-like secretary general, but Infantino has retained a Blatter-like grip on executive authority. A new FIFA Bureau that was not on the reform program now has given more authority to Infantino and the six regional confederation leaders, whose decisions need not be ratified by a 37-strong council that replaced the discredited executive committee.
“The bureau is there to act in between when the council meets,” CONCACAF President Victor Montagliani said. “If there are decisions that are needed on a timely basis.”
The most recent addition to the bureau and council is Ahmad Ahmad, who ended Issa Hayatou’s 29-year grip on power in Africa in March.
But the FIFA vice president has unwelcome links to the tainted old regime. Email correspondence between Ahmad and an aide to disgraced former FIFA presidential candidate Mohamed bin Hammam of Qatar was published by British newspaper The Sunday Times in 2014. The emails from 2010 detailed Ahmad reminding Bin Hammam that he promised money to help Ahmad’s re-election campaign to lead the Madagascar federation. The Bin Hammam aide who Ahmad was emailing was banned for life by the FIFA ethics committee in January for involvement in unethical payments made to soccer officials.
“If it’s your idea, take it, give it,” Ahmad responded vaguely when asked about the payments on Wednesday. “Ask him. Don’t ask me.”
FIFA has lost two officials recently following fresh American revelations about wrongdoing.
FIFA audit committee member Richard Lai, an American citizen from Guam, pleaded guilty to wire fraud conspiracy charges related to taking around $1 million in bribes including at least $850,000 from Kuwaiti officials. The cash was to buy influence and help recruit other Asian soccer officials prepared to take bribes, Lai said in court in New York.
Kuwaiti powerbroker Sheikh Ahmad Al Fahad Al Sabah was implicated in the investigation and, despite maintaining his innocence, he quit the election to regain his seat on the FIFA Council this week.
Now new investigators will be taking on those cases. Eckert and Borbely predicted “long delays in current investigations.” They are set to be replaced by Greek judge Vassilios Skouris and Colombian lawyer Maria Claudia Rojas on Thursday.
Infantino is suspected of a personal motive to install new ethics leadership, although he didn’t publicly criticize Eckert and Borbely. The Swiss-Italian former UEFA general secretary was frustrated that he faced an ethics investigation last year for his use of private jets early in his presidency.
The old FIFA ways continue to seem hard to shake off.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.