Close  

Japan’s Kamegai faces Cotto in first world title bout

/ 02:56 PM May 25, 2017
 Yoshihiro Kamegai of Japan v Jesus Soto-Karass of Mexico during the junior middleweights bout at The Forum on September 10, 2016 in Inglewood, California.   Josh Lefkowitz/Getty Images/AFP

Yoshihiro Kamegai of Japan v Jesus Soto-Karass of Mexico during the junior middleweights bout at The Forum on September 10, 2016 in Inglewood, California. Josh Lefkowitz/Getty Images/AFP

Japanese boxer Yoshihiro Kamegai has the chance to grab the world junior middleweight title left behind by Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, but blocking his path is former world champion Miguel Cotto.

Promoters announced Wednesday that Kamegai will face Cotto on August 26 at Los Angeles for the vacant World Boxing Organization junior middleweight crown.

ADVERTISEMENT

Mexican star Alvarez, who defeated Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr earlier this month, dropped the 154-pound title as he moves up to the middleweight ranks for a megafight on September 16 against unbeaten Gennady Golovkin for the Kazak star’s three world titles.

Vying to replace Alvarez at 154 pounds are Kamegai, in his first world title bout at age 34, and 36-year-old Puerto Rican Cotto, whose first world championship bout was in 2004.

FEATURED STORIES

“I’m very excited to be back and showcase a high level fight for the fans,” Cotto said.

“Kamegai is a great, tough fighter, but I will be ready for him and to capture the world title. I can’t wait to start training for this fight and get back in the ring.”

Cotto, 40-5 with 33 knockouts, has owned world titles at super lightweight, welterweight, super welterweight/junior middleweight and middleweight — the only Puerto Rican fighter to claim crowns in four different weight classes.

“I fully understand who I’m going to be in the ring against, but Cotto’s record and history won’t matter once we are toe-to-toe,” Kamegai said. “I am looking forward to giving fans the kind of aggressive fight that they have seen from me before and having my arm raised in victory.”

Kamegai, 27-3 with two drawn and 24 knockouts, is 3-2 with one drawn in his past six fights over the past three years, having stopped Mexico’s Jesus Soto Karass last September in his most recent bout.

Cotto is 3-3 over the past five years, including a super welterweight title loss to Floyd Mayweather in 2012. His most recent bout was an unanimous decision loss to Alvarez in November 2015.

ADVERTISEMENT
Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Boxing, Miguel Cotto, Saul Alvarez, Yoshihiro Kamegai
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
newsinfo

Palace vows Duterte veto after Ping finds ‘pork’

December 13, 2019 04:44 AM

opinion

Half a victory

December 13, 2019 04:40 AM

sports

A cry for unity

December 13, 2019 04:40 AM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.