Ateneo’s Kai Sotto top high school player in week 1 of NBTC 24
Towering over the competition, 15-year-old sensation Kai Sotto emerged as the top high school player in the first installation of the Chooks-to-Go NBTC 24 weekly power rankings.
The 7-footer was sensational for the undefeated Blue Eaglets this past week as he collected 11 points, 12 rebounds, and five blocks in their 78-54 win over University of Santo Tomas in the UAAP Season 80 juniors tournament.
Every week, a panel of coaches, sportswriters, and a statistician converge to come up with the weekly rankings to determine the top 24 high school players in the UAAP, CESAFI-NBTC, MMBL, and FCAAF tournaments, together with the recently-concluded NCAA competition.
The players are ranked based on the following criteria: league stats, impact in team, team record, leadership, defense, offense, and level of competition.
The top 24 players still on the board for the power rankings in early March will be picked to play in the SM-National Basketball Training Center (NBTC) High School All-Star Game later that month at Mall of Asia Arena.
Here is the list for the first week of Chooks-to-Go NBTC 24:
- Kai Sotto, center, Ateneo
- Joel Cagulangan, guard, St. Benilde
- Will Gozum, center, Mapua
- CJ Cansino, forward, UST
- SJ Belangel, guard, Ateneo
- L-Jay Gonzales, guard, FEU-Diliman
- Rhayyan Amsali, forward, NU
- Dave Ildefonso, forward, Ateneo
- Aaron Fermin, center, Arellano
- Clint Escamis, guard, Mapua
- Inand Fornilos, forward, CSB-LSGH
- Evan Nelle, guard, San Beda
- Warren Bonifacio, center, Mapua
- John Galinato, guard, Chiang Kai Shek
- RJ Abarrientos, guard, FEU-Diliman
- Terrence Fortea, guard, NU
- Jancork Cabahug, forward, UV
- Mac Guadaña, guard, Lyceum
- Raven Cortez, center, La Salle Zobel
- Harvey Pagsanjan, guard, Hope Christian
- Jielo Razon, guard, Perpetual
- Joem Sabandal, guard, Adamson
- Maui Cruz, guard, EAC
- Niel Tolentino, guard, Letran
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.