Olympic chief defends Cojuangco appointment | Inquirer Sports

Olympic chief defends Cojuangco appointment

By: - Reporter / @junavINQ
/ 05:35 AM March 16, 2018

Former POC chief Peping Cojuangco and newly-elected president Ricky Vargas during the turnover ceremony. Photo by June Navarro

Philippine Olympic Committee (POC) president Ricky Vargas is standing pat on his decision to appoint his predecessor, Jose “Peping” Cojuangco Jr., to a critical committee in the local Olympic body despite eyebrows raised by some of his supporters.

“I have always been consistent in my position whether in my corporate or sports dealings,” said Vargas on Thursday in defense of his decision to name Cojuangco, who stood as POC president for 13 years before Vargas unseated him in an elections last month, chair of the constitutional revisions and amendments committee.

“I am always for inclusion rather than exclusion.”

FEATURED STORIES

Though Vargas didn’t name those who questioned Cojuangco’s appointment, a POC insider said the new officials in the Olympic circle who supported Vargas in the previous polls were not in favor of the move.

“No one will come to our house if the residents are always fighting,” said the president of the Association of Boxing Alliances in the Philippines. “While I encourage the new culture espoused by new blood, we should make an effort to bring everyone with us.”

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

TAGS: Jose “Peping” Cojuangco Jr., Philippine Olympic Committee, Ricky Vargas

© Copyright 1997-2024 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.