Matthysse out to end Pacman’s career with KO
Lucas Matthysse wants to gain international acclaim and reinforce his reputation as a knockout artist when he dangles the World Boxing Association welterweight crown against Manny Pacquiao on July 15 in Kuala Lumpur.
The Argentine, who has stopped 36 of his 39 victims while incurring only four losses, thinks he wields enough power to send the Filipino eight-division world champion into retirement with a knockout victory.
“I know that my hands in this division feel stronger. I’m not thinking about the scorecards—I’m thinking about knocking [Pacquiao] out,” Matthysse, a former light welterweight champion, told BoxingScene.com.
And, if he does, the 35-year-old from Chubut, knows that bountiful opportunities will come his way.
“I know that winning opens the doors of heaven for the future, but now I’m only thinking about this fight. Either I lose everything or I gain everything,” said Matthysse, who is arriving in Manila for the prefight press conference on April 20. “Hopefully I can retire Manny Pacquiao, we are prepared for that, prepared to win.”
Though aware of the sterling credentials of Pacquiao, 57 (38 KOs)-6-2, Matthysse knows the former pound-for-pound king is far from his peak form at 39 years old.
Preoccupied with his legislative duties as senator, Pacquiao hasn’t fought since losing his WBO 147-pound crown to Australian Jeff Horn in Brisbane in July last year.
In addition, Pacquiao’s bunches of punches have dwindled in such a way that he hasn’t knock out an opponent since stopping Miguel Cotto in 2009.
This early, Matthysse is already painting the possible scenarios of his 12-round fight with Pacquiao.
“I imagine parts of the fight, I like that he is a fighter like me, we must be attentive and prepared,” said Matthysse. —ROY LUARCA
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.