Pacquiao on Roach split: ‘I have not made my final decision’
Just days after Manny Pacquiao had reportedly cut his ties with his longtime trainer Freddie Roach, the former world champion released another statement saying he has yet to decide who his head trainer will be against Lucas Matthysse in July.
Pacquiao went under fire for initially parting ways with Roach, who had been in his corner since he made his US debut in 2001.
But Pacquiao may have just had a change of heart.
“Contrary to statements which I personally did not make that are circulating in the media, I have not made my final decision who will be my head trainer for my July 14 fight with Matthysse,” Pacquiao said in a statement posted on his social media accounts.
“My advisor Mike Koncz has been in contact with Freddie’s people to keep them informed. I will make a final decision within the week. When that decision is made, Freddie will be the first one to be informed and then I will advise the media.”
Earlier this month, Mike Koncz, Pacquiao’s adviser, bared to ESPN that the former welterweight champion told him, “Buboy Fernandez will be handling the training on this fight.”
“What’s important to Manny is that he has one voice to listen to in the corner that he trusts and I guess that’s Buboy for this fight,” Koncz added in the same interview.
The 39-year-old Pacquiao hasn’t fought since yielding the WBO welterweight belt to Jeff Horn in a controversial decision on July 2, 2017 in Brisbane, Australia.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.