Donaire told to take care and retire
After last Sunday’s defeat in Belfast, fans and experts were quick to advise Nonito Donaire Jr. to look after himself and start thinking about leaving boxing for good.
Sorry, but it seemed Donaire, 35, and visibly older, had already decided to fight on, even before the all revealing unanimous verdict was announced.
There was no single cry for an encore after the failed performance. All three judges scored it 117-111 for Irishman Carl Frampton.
Donaire, who fought and lost at 126 pounds, said he would be fighting on, possibly in the lighter super bantamweight division.
Donaire himself admitted failure. He praised his foe, readily adding Frampton’s size advantage made a lot of difference. He said he was unable to carry out his game plan.
Donaire was outfoxed and outfought by a sharp, strong and superb tactician.
Said Philboxing.com founder Dong Secuya very early last Sunday: “Talo si Nonito (Nonito lost), 117-111 from all 3 judges. Frampton was stronger and Nonito has aged.”
Out there in Los Angeles, the ever helpful Dr. Ed de la Vega, who loves assisting Filipino boxers fighting around Las Vegas and California, readily suggested Donaire should start looking for a new job.
“He doesn’t have the same abilities anymore; sorely lacking was the fabulous defense crafted by his father, Nonito Sr.,” Dr. Ed explained.
Maybe Donaire was in better shape on Sunday than when he clashed with Jamaican Axman Nicolas Walters, who stopped him in six a few years ago.
He never got going and was severely crushed by Walters.
“I thought it was a lot closer than how the judges saw it,” Donaire said. “If it were in the USA or the Philippines, I would have played my boxing game and not try to chase Frampton down.”
He had a quick shower, changed to a bright happy outfit before reporting to a popular pub. He invited the whole of Belfast to join him in merry-making.