PFF to sign P300-M pact with ABS-CBN
MANILA, Philippines—The Philippine Football Federation is poised to sign a four-year extension worth at least P300 million with television giant ABS-CBN for the airing of matches of the men’s national team as well as its football activities starting this year.
PFF president Mariano “Nonong” Araneta Friday night said the federation will also stand to receive P1.2 million per Azkals match from the network, which is also required to give P1 million worth of football equipment that will be divided among its 33 member-associations.
“They (ABS-CBN) had a better offer,” said Araneta. TV5 also tabled an offer to the PFF but the Federation’s Board opted for ABS-CBN, which held the rights to Azkals matches starting last year during the AFC Challenge Cup.
The PFF board has authorized Araneta and Azkals manager Dan Palami to negotiate with ABS-CBN before finalizing the contract.
Meanwhile, Araneta said that the PFF has ratified the appointment of NCRFA president Rolly Tulay as general secretary, replacing Chito Manuel, who will be assigned to the PFF’s grassroots committee.
Former president Johnny Romualdez has also been appointed treasurer of the PFF.
Araneta and Palami were also able to thresh out scheduling concerns with the United Football League regarding the release of players for the build-up to the AFC Challenge Cup.
Araneta said the clubs will allow standouts like Phil and James Younghusband to train with the national team for three days and two days with the club.
“There are so many football activities and the meeting with the UFL is a step in the right direction,” said Araneta.
Araneta said the UFL clubs will also allow players to be released for the 12-day training camp in Dubai, where the Azkals are slated to play three matches including one against Serbian powerhouse Partizan Belgrade on Feb. 6.