Pacquiao takes another swipe at Mayweather over exhibition match KO
Manny Pacquiao took another jab at Floyd Mayweather Jr. and his New Year’s Eve exhibition boxing match against up-and-coming Japanese featherweight kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa in Japan.
Pacquiao had already trolled Mayweather on Twitter just hours after former pound-for-pound king knocked out an overmatched Nasukawa in the first round of their three-round show in Japan.
“Here is an early New Year’s resolution. To continue to only fight experienced opponents who are my size or bigger,” Pacquiao tweeted.
And apparently, the Filipino boxing icon wasn’t done as he shared his two-cents on the fight that drew flak and was even deemed nonsensical by many.
“It’s my first time to see an exhibition where you knock your opponent out,” Pacquiao said in an interview with boxingscene.com. “Supposedly, an exhibition is just to entertain people, nothing serious, for three rounds. But that’s what I understand about exhibitions.”
Mayweather and Pacquiao are again rumored for a rematch after the two met at a music festival in Tokyo last September and more recently four days ago during the game between the Los Angeles Clippers and Charlotte Hornets at Staples Center in Los Angeles.
But as of now, Pacquiao, the reigning WBA welterweight champion, is focused on his title defense against Adrien Broner on January 19 in Las Vegas.
“I have no problem fighting anybody as long as there is no problems with the negotiations,” said Pacquiao, who lost to Mayweather by unanimous decision in 2015. “My plan is just one at a time.”
Mayweather reportedly earned $9 million in his exhibition against the 20-year-old Nasukawa that lasted only two minutes.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.