A waste of time, cries Donnie Nietes
Donnie Nietes said he had to think long and hard. That’s not easy to believe. It’s very likely the decision to drop his WBO super flyweight crown came way ahead of his formal announcement to relinquish it.
Nietes gave up his WBO super flyweight crown because he saw no sense in fighting countryman Alston Palicte a second time.
It would be a waste of time.
Nietes did score what was popularly viewed a masterful conquest of Palicte last September in Inglewood, California.
The fight was dubiously declared a 12-round draw.
Jim Lampley and Max Kellerman, who worked the bout as panelists, said the split draw “was a really bad decision.”
Majority of local fans who witnessed the bout felt Nietes had been robbed.
Michael Aldeguer, president of ALA Boxing, said Nietes has decided to seek a fight against champions in other organizations.
“A rematch with Palicte is an emotional and mental challenge for him,” Aldeguer told the WBO in a statement. “He went through a very difficult stage after the first match. Fighting a fellow Filipino again who is from the same region where he was born makes it even more difficult.”
Aldeguer said Nietes doesn’t have much time in his career.
“His wish is to look for big fights to enhance his legacy and achieve his ultimate dream before hanging up his gloves,” Aldeguer added.
Nietes is keenly awaiting the result of the WBC super flyweight title clash between Thai sensation Srisaket sor Rungvisai and Francisco Estrada on April 25.
“It may or may not happen, but I feel this is the right thing to do, under the situation,” Nietes said.
He has been indefinitely stalled.
Nietes, who turns 37 in May, is both seasoned and tested to be pushed around or fall to the whims of selfish operators in the prizefight business.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.