Close  

Gennady Golovkin to return in June after signing deal with DAZN

/ 09:41 AM March 09, 2019
Gennady Golovkin

FILE – In this Sept. 17, 2017, file photo, Gennady Golovkin reacts following a middleweight title against Canelo Alvarez, in Las Vegas. Golovkin will return to the ring in June after signing a multiyear deal Friday, March 8, 2019, with DAZN, which gives him the possibility of a third fight with Alvarez. No date or opponent was announced for the fight, which will be Golovkin’s first since being edged by Alvarez last September in their second bout after they fought to a draw in the first one. (AP Photo/John Locher, File)

NEW YORK — Gennady Golovkin will return to the ring in June after signing a multiyear deal Friday with DAZN, which gives him the possibility of a third fight with Canelo Alvarez.

No date or opponent was announced for the fight, which will be Golovkin’s first since being edged by Alvarez last September in their second bout after they fought to a draw in the first one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Alvarez already has an exclusive deal with the sports streaming service and is set to meet Daniel Jacobs in a middleweight title unification match on May 4 in Las Vegas.

The deal calls for Golovkin to fight twice a year on DAZN for the next three years, giving the longtime middleweight champion from Kazakhstan plenty of opportunities to regain titles.

FEATURED STORIES

The biggest one would be through another bout with Alvarez after their two close contests, which were both pay-per-view fights. When Alvarez signed his contract last year, which his promotional company said would pay him a minimum of $365 million, DAZN executive chairman John Skipper said he hoped it would help attract other top fighters.

He finally got Golovkin, whom he called “a generational talent with international appeal.”

DAZN has all the middleweight champions, with WBO champion Demetrius Andrade also fighting on DAZN. He called out Golovkin after defending his title in January, saying he would “destroy” Triple G.

GGG Promotions will do two cards per year on DAZN beginning in 2020. Golovkin and Skipper plan to discuss the deal next week at a press conference in the Los Angeles area.

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Boxing, Canelo Alvarez, DAZN, Gennady Golovkin, GGG, Triple G
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.