Novak Djokovic extends lead as world no. 1, Fabio Fognini climbs rankings
Novak Djokovic stretched his lead over Rafael Nadal at the top of the ATP rankings on Monday, after the Spaniard’s failed bid to win a 12th Monte Carlo Masters title.
Djokovic, winner of the last three Grand Slam tournaments, is now over 3,000 points clear of old rival Nadal despite a quarter-final defeat by Daniil Medvedev in the Principality last week.
World number two Nadal dropped ranking points after his title defence ended with a shock semi-final loss to eventual champion Fabio Fognini.
The 31-year-old Italian reached a career-high ranking of 12th after claiming his maiden Masters trophy with a straight-sets win over unheralded Serbian Dusan Lajovic in Sunday’s final.
Fognini jumped six spots to close on the top 10, while Lajovic climbed 24 places to 24th.
ATP top 20
1. Novak Djokovic (SRB) 11,160 pts
2. Rafael Nadal (ESP) 8,085
3. Alexander Zverev (GER) 5,770
4. Roger Federer (SUI) 5,590
5. Dominic Thiem (AUT) 4,675
6. Kevin Anderson (RSA) 4,115 (+1)
7. Kei Nishikori (JPN) 3,690 (-1)
8. Stefanos Tsitsipas (GRE) 3,240
9. Juan Martin del Potro (ARG) 3,225
10. John Isner (USA) 3,085
11. Marin Cilic (CRO) 2,845
12. Fabio Fognini (ITA) 2,840 (+6)
13. Karen Khachanov (RUS) 2,730 (-1)
14. Daniil Medvedev (RUS) 2,505
15. Borna Coric (CRO) 2,480 (-2)
16. Milos Raonic (CAN) 2,050 (-1)
17. Marco Cecchinato (ITA) 2,041 (-1)
18. Nikoloz Basilashvili (GEO) 1,930 (-1)
19. Gael Monfils (FRA) 1,875
20. Denis Shapovalov (CAN) 1,820
24. Dusan Lajovic (SRB) 1,515 (+24)
Get the hottest sports news straight into your inbox
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.