Dissatisfied football body puts end to PPL
The Philippine Football Federation on Saturday terminated Triple CH Holdings as operator of the Philippine Premier League, which kicked off last week with only five clubs—two of which did not even have a license from the federation.
The decision was unanimously approved by the Board of Governors, led by PFF president Mariano “Nonong” Araneta, who had earlier given the PPL his backing only to pull it out after what a source described as “serious mismanagement” on the part of PPL organizers.
The PFF said the league will revert back to its original name, the Philippines Football League with kickoff expected in the third week of May.
A highly-placed source said the federation was far from satisfied at the way the competition is being managed, citing several issues from the PPL’s inability to secure a title sponsor to the league’s defiance on allowing clubs without licenses—Mendiola and Air Force—to see action last week.
Stallion Laguna and Global Makati pulled out a day before kickoff.