‘No possibility’ of Pacquiao-Mayweather rematch at the moment
MANILA, Philippines—The only jabs Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. will be throwing at each other will remain in the confines of social media for now.
Talks of a potential rematch between the two have gone nowhere beyond Twitter timelines and Instagram feeds.
A week ago, Mayweather posted a video on Instagram of himself dusting off the cobwebs and hitting the double end bag that had many of his followers raving about a second fight with Pacquiao.
But despite the renewed clamor for a sequel sparked by the two rivals’ back-and-forth on social media late last month, the probability of it happening is bleak as per international matchmaker Sean Gibbons.
“There is no fight. There is no possibility at the moment because Floyd had said numerous times he’s retired and he’s enjoying his retirement,” Gibbons said Tuesday during the PSA Forum.
“We’ll let things unfold. We’ll see what happens,” he added.
Gibbons, who is also the president of Manny Pacquiao Promotions, also thinks Mayweather wants no part of Pacquiao with the Filipino legend coming off a scintillating win over a much younger and previously unbeaten champion in Keith Thurman to claim the WBA (Super) welterweight crown last month.
“I don’t blame him for not wanting to fight someone like the senator because he got lucky one time and I don’t think he’s going to get lucky two times,” he said.