PacMay 2 not in the cards, says Gibbons
The only jabs Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. will be throwing at each other would be in the confines of social media.
Despite the renewed clamor for a sequel sparked by the two rivals’ back-and-forth on their social feeds last month, the probability of a second mega-fight is bleak, international matchmaker Sean Gibbons told the PSA Forum on Tuesday.
“There is no fight. There is no possibility at the moment because Floyd had said numerous times he’s retired and he’s enjoying his retirement,” Gibbons said.
Gibbons, the president of Pacquiao’s MP Promotions, thinks Mayweather wants no part of Pacquiao, who is coming off a scintillating win over a much younger and previously unbeaten Keith Thurman for the WBA welterweight crown.
“I don’t blame him for not wanting to fight someone like the senator because he got lucky one time and I don’t think he’s going to get lucky two times,” he said.
Mayweather hasn’t shied away from delivering social media punches. He recently shared an article proclaiming him as the greatest fighter of all time, ahead of the second-ranked Pacquiao.