Injured Naomi Osaka maintains top spot
Naomi Osaka holds on to the top of the WTA rankings on Monday despite injury and elimination from the Cincinnati Masters.
The Japanese lost to 20th placed Sofia Kenin in the quarter-finals on Sunday due to a knee injury. Her participation at the US Open is still uncertain.
Madison Keys jumped eight spots and is ranked 10th after she won Cincinnati on Sunday.
Also on the rise in an otherwise unchanged top 10 is Elina Svitolina who moved up two spots to fifth, a career high for Ukrainian.
Sloane Stephens was robbed of her 10th spot in the rankings and sits at 11th after her defeat to Svetlana Kuznetsova in Cincinatti’s third round.
Meanwhile, Kiki Bertens took two steps back to 7th place and Johanna Konta was demoted to 16th.
WTA Rankings, August 19:
1. Naomi Osaka (JPN) 6,606 pts
2. Ashleigh Barty (AUS) 6,501
3. Karolína Plíšková (CZE) 6,315
4. Simona Halep (ROU) 4,743
5. Elina Svitolina (UKR) 4,492 (+2)
6. Petra Kvitová (CZE) 4,485
7. Kiki Bertens (NED) 4,325 (-2)
8. Serena Williams (USA) 3,935
9. Aryna Sabalenka (BLR) 3,320
10. Madison Keys (USA) 3,267 (+8)
11. Sloane Stephens (USA) 3,189 (-1)
12. Anastasija Sevastova (LAT) 3,167 (-1)
13. Belinda Bencic (SUI) 3,008 (-1)
14. Angelique Kerber (GER) 2,870 (-1)
15. Bianca Andreescu (CAN) 2,837 (-1)
16. Johanna Konta (GBR) 2,695 (-1)
17. Markéta Vondroušová (CZE) 2,651 (-1)
18. Qiang Wang (CHN) 2,593 (-1)
19. Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) 2,537
20. Sofia Kenin (USA) 2,460 (+2)
Get the hottest sports news straight into your inbox
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.