Shooting gets one ticket to London Olympics
MANILA, Philippines—At least six Filipinos will campaign in the 2012 London Olympics as the Philippines earned Tuesday another slot in shooting.
The International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) granted the Philippines one Olympic berth, adding to the country’s so far lean contingent from boxing, athletics and swimming.
“The ISSF just sent us a communiqué that by virtue of the seven athletes who met the minimum qualifying standard, we are entitled to one slot,” Manny Lopez, the country’s chef de mission to the Summer Games, said in the PSA Forum yesterday at Shakey’s UN Avenue.
Philippine National Shooting Association (PNSA) president Mikee Romero, in a separate statement, said the board has yet to choose who among the seven Filipino shooters—three in trap, two in the 10-m rifle and one each in the 25-m rapid fire and skeet—will represent the country.
Only boxer Mark Anthony Barriga has earned an Olympic slot by his own merit after a successful stint in the world qualifiers last year in Azerbaijan.
Swimming and athletics have two mandatory slots each, where one will be given to Southeast Asia’s long jump queen Marestella Torres, the Philippine Amateur Track and Field Association (Patafa) announced recently.
“We’re hoping that more of our athletes will qualify,” said Lopez. “The number we’re targeting is 10 athletes.”
Lopez said the Filipino qualifiers can avail of the three-week, pre-Olympic training in London courtesy of the London Olympic Committee, which will allot 25,000 pounds (P1.7 million) to each National Olympic Committee.